Monday, September 21, 2009

List.

I have promised a few people a list of books to read. I have been reading a lot lately (I recently discovered something amazing called the PUBLIC LIBRARY). Here are some of the really good ones that are worth reading. Return the favor by sending me your list of what is worth my incredibly valueable time. Please and Thank You.
The End.

1. Mystic River & Shutter Island by Denis Lehane: Mystic River is better but Shutter Island is much more fun. I love both. If you love great mysteries read them. There is a reason that so many of his books are made/being made into movies. Can't wait for Shutter Island (Leonardo DiCaprio is in it!)

2. The Fifth Child & Ben in the World by Doris Lessing: Disturbing and awesome. Ben in the World is the sequel and isn't as good as the original but still worth reading. It is about a family that has 4 perfect children and has #5 and he is...well definitely not perfect to say the least.

3. Mudbound by Hillary Jordan: I own this one if anyone is interested. It sounded dull on the cover but I bought it anyway (sometimes I don't trust my own opinion and go against it) and it was great.

4. Skeletons at the Feast-Chris Bohjalian: It is entirely possible that I butchered his last name but this is a good one too. A little harder to get through but still good. I own this one as well.

5. The Book of Dead Philosophers: This is a good coffee table book. It goes through all the great thinkers of the distant and recent past and all the crazy/unique ways they passed on, kicked the bucket, bought the farm (you get the idea).

6. What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman: Not a GREAT book but a good one.

7. What Was Lost by Catherin O'Flynn: This might be my favorite out of the bunch. Very unique and I love the way it is written. Get this one first.

8. Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen : I might have mixed these last two up. One I liked and one I loved. Get them both and let me know if I was right.

And now for one I hated: John Updike's "My Father's Tears." Has anyone else read this? It was so disappointing. I love him and I wanted to love it because he's dead now and nothing new will be coming out ever again. But I despised it.

That is all for now. More to come later.

6 comments:

Andrea Templeman said...

What do you do with all your books? I have mine on shelves in my room, but I want to get rid of the shelves...I don't know if I want to give away all my books, but I don't know where to put them. Storage? What do you do with yours?

Rachel said...

After mine have cycled through everyone who wants to read them...I take them to the library. The Lehi library is a little sad so I thought I would help them out. Plus you can write it off as a donation.

Kalli said...

What the dead know? Book of dead philosphers? Skeletons at the feast?

Do you see dead people?

I just want to know, I mean because if you do ask my Grandma if I can have her china because my half sister doesn't deserve it. I DO.

Rachel said...

Kalli: I will tell Sally to put in a good word for you.

Ashley said...

I was about to say something about how excited I am to read these books and then I read yours and Kalli's comments. Can't stop laughing.

Andrea Templeman said...

That is a good idea. The PG Library is TERRIBLE. I should take my boxes of books to them. You = smart.