Friday, February 6, 2009

More Stop-Action Animated Creepiness




I would like to share with you my love of stop-action animation. I have great affection for this medium. I think it is because it is dark and creepy and strange, and it takes a lot of work to produce much of anything, much like how my brain is. My all time favorite is The Nightmare Before Christmas. Today Rand and I are taking the kiddos to see Coraline and I am so excited, Maura and I have been waiting for this movie for a long time. Also, I think that the writer ripped me off. In 6th grade I wrote a story about a girl accidentally going to a parallel universe where everything was evil. I vividly remember reading the story out loud to the class and the look on my teacher's face was one of concern and fright. I need to talk to someone about getting royalties for this...
**Update: This movie is awesome. I had really high hopes for it and it was even better than I thought. It was pretty intense at parts and I thought the kids would be scared, but it seems they are completely desensitized to anything scary. No wonder they have creepy imaginary friends.

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Would that have been Senora Sanders with the alarmed look? I'm so very, very sad to say I don't remember that story--that would've been awesome if I had! all i remember is us getting our desks separated after she yelled at us during pinata making. sweet.

Rachel said...

Yes, it was Mrs. Saunders...I was having the hardest time remembering her name! I also remembering her seperating us because we started a line of baby products called "Crusty Babies" and we drew logos and stuff and made up skits about it. We should revisit the idea, don't you think?

Melanee Raynes said...

You should! I invented the Rumba YEARS ago. I'd be rich!

Anonymous said...

see i'm still sitting on the fence on this movie, the kids what to see, it but i'm not sure yet, i'm sure i'll take them though.

Andrea Templeman said...

Rachel. You need to see this movie: http://www.maryandmax.com/
We saw it at sundance...it is so very good.

Andrea Templeman said...

Ryan and I saw this last night. It was really good! I can't believe your kids didn't have nightmares! I wish we didn't see it in 3D, it kind of made me crazy. Thanks for the recommendation!