Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Heavy.

I can't remember who suggested I read "The Book Thief." Whoever you are, thank you. It was amazing. It was also a very, very heavy book to take in. I bawled my eyes out during a few parts of it, I was stressed out, I didn't sleep very well (nothing new) and when I did sleep I had dreams of Nazi's chasing me. So I'm glad it is over, but I also wish that I had another book that would even come close to being as good. It might be awhile. Please read it. I would tell you what it is about, but I wouldn't do it justice.

"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.
None of these things came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Leisel Meminger and tell her the only truth I know."

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I really want to read this. I just got done reading The Tenth Circle and The Secret Life Of Bees. I'm ready for something heavy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chanin said...

And how cool is it that "Death" is the narrator. I loved the way he used colors to describe different settings he visited. Ahh....

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Everytime I tried explaining the premise it came out sounding either lame or creepy. It was beautiful.

Heidi said...

Loved this book!! My dreams were also crazy during the reading-but well worth it. Have you read Hunger Games yet? I think you would like that one. Hope you are feeling better.