Sunday, February 14, 2010

Butterfly In The Sky....

...Actually they are in a net on my kitchen counter and will probably never see the sky, but nonetheless...
We grew butterflies! For Christmas, Maura got one of those kits to grow butterflies. I thought for sure I would kill all of them...we tried this once before and our caterpillar, Marvin (RIP) died before ever making his chrysalis. I hope you turned into a beautiful butterfly in heaven, Marvin (though I am 99% sure he was a moth). Anyway...All of our larvae turned into healthy caterpillars, who turned into creepy chrysalides (plural for chrysalis, betcha didn't know) and all 10 of of them hatched into butterflies. That's right, I didn't kill a one of them! Maura (but mostly me) had a blast watching them transform. That's right, I helped facilitate an amazing transformation here folks. Just sayin'..
This was our first butterfly to hatch.
Apparently they ooze this red junk as part of the process of getting pigment to their wings. I thought it was bleeding to death. It is still pretty gross.
This is Maura holding her beloved butterfly. See that black thing touching her finger? That is the tongue. These things get creepier as we go along.
Collin was initially terrified of these little guys. But he came around and eventually held one. I, on the other hand, still have not.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how fun, and i'm so proud u didn't kill any, do u remember the spongebob episode with the butterfly in it and they said it was a monster. hee-hee

Ashley said...

I think that's the coolest thing I've ever seen. How fun!

Sylvia said...

i totally wanted to do one... until i read the word 'larvae'. Okay, i'm out.

But i am proud of you for keeping them all alive!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Such a beautiful gift. I think I too would be grossed out by the first coupla stages. What a happy ending for Maura's biology project!

Rachel said...

Oh, you don't have to touch the larvae. They come in this cup that has food in it. You only take them out after they make their chrystalis. Plus they only stay larve for a few days before they are caterpillars. I am a freak when it comes to creepy crawlies, so if I can do it...anybody can. www.insectlore.com

Stefanie Raynes said...

To finish your song..."I can fly twice as high! Take a look, its in a book, the Reading Rainbow".
Best Song EVER!

AND, you are pretty much the coolest mom EVER!

Team O'Connor said...

I never knew you had a blog! I'm so glad you commented on mine so I could discover this little gem. The butterflies are beautiful and I'm probably going to get my husband one of these kits for his Bday next month. He is young at heart and will probably enjoy it as much as Maura...and you:) Haha. I've never seen one. It's amazing!